Last week we had what I believe is our first official prayer for forgiveness by one of our children on their own. Who was it? Little Jadelyn. For hitting Ruby, she was sent around the garden. She didn't want to complete it, so had a spanking for disobeying. She whimpered around the garden, and then came to me, where I was working in a strawberry patch. I hugged her and didn't say a word. Then, she started: "Dear Jesus.....dear Jesus.....dear Jesus" by this time I was going to jump in and help her, but then she continued on her own, "Forgive for hit Ruby. Amen."
My Isaac continues to be a thinker. He came up with some exercise to 'help' Ruby's hip. I told him that he is a good "exercise doctor". Ruby then asked him if that was what he was going to be when he grew up. He responded in the negative. So I probed further to discover what he would do when he grew up since he would need some money to support his LARGE family. (He informed me recently that he is going to need a dining room table bigger than ours so all his kids can fit around it. ;D) Isaac perked up, and informed me that he was going to have a "money machine" that will "make money!" Both coins and paper money. Thus taking away the need for him to have a job. Genius, 'eh? =P Good grief...I sure hope I can get this boy to enjoy good work!
We attended yet another 3 hour or so appointment at Shriner's last week. With a new doctor. Dr. Walker. The one who would actually do Ruby's surgery if surgery was necessary. I think. Anyhow, I was quite apprehensive about this appointment since the only rating for Dr. Walker on-line was negative - regarding her bedside manner, which is the problem I've been struggling with with the previous orthopedic surgeon. Anyways, I was very thankful to find her willing to listen to us AND Ruby. No other orthopedic surgeon has really LISTENED to Ruby. And what do you know? Because she talked to Ruby and listened to Ruby, she saw how Ruby "clicks" her hips. Ruby explained how she did it and showed the doctor. The doctor then asked Ruby to stop doing that, and turned and told us that she thinks Ruby is partially or completely dislocating her hip on her own. The doctor gave her hips some thorough examination and was unable to dislocate Ruby's hip, though it appears Ruby is able to do it. Strange, I think. Dr. Walker then told us that Ruby will probably need to be in a cast for 6 months with no surgery, or have surgery and then be in a cast for 6 weeks. She needs to consult with more doctors as to the best plan of action, and we're supposed to hear back next week. In the meantime, we've been doing the exercises that a PT gave to us to do and hoping that Ruby's muscles will get stronger and pull her leg back into the hip socket. Not real likely, I don't think, but hey, it is SURE worth the try! When Ruby complains about the exercises, I remind her that the exercises are WAY better than a cast would be. OH! The first day after our appointment, Ruby sought me out asking to exercise. I love that gal's motivation! Anyhow...that was a real side-track. =O After meeting with the doctor and the PT, it was off to meet with the social worker, Faith, for a referral to a neurologist. She got the appointment set up while we were there, so we're off to meet up with Dr. Farjam Farzam (name just cracks me up!) on November 7. Bright and early. Hopefully the kids (and David and I) will survive!
After our LONG appointment, we went to a park for a picnic and bike ride. It was Jadelyn's first "real" bike ride, and she was a trooper, albeit slow. The kids rode for over a mile and a half, I think. I was so proud! There were some big 'ole hills to get up, and Isaac commented at some point, "I wish I had a motor". Ha! =) Ruby rides her bike like a crazy woman. David said that he thinks Ruby will do real well in school with "book smarts" and all, but he's not sure he wants to ride with her when she starts driving! She'll be pedaling along and all the sudden, WHAM! Brakes go on all the way until she stops. One time, she left a good 7 foot or so skid-mark behind her. =) All or nothin' with that gal. It also tickled my funny bone to no end watching her run and have to constantly swipe at her pants to keep them up. Poor skinny gal. ;)
Ruby was talking to David on the phone the other day, when I heard her ask him if he would stay on the phone while she switched the phone to her other ear. Ha. Not sure how long she anticipated the switch was going to take! =) Then, when she was all done switching, she got back on the phone and informed David that it was "still Ruby, your daughter". Oh, that girl!
I don't remember exactly what happened, but David commented to Ruby that it must be "rough being a little girl." Ruby then replied something to the effect of it being "even rougher being a grown-up" and having a baby and not having a job and having to go to jail. This said because we met someone at church last year who had to go to jail for not paying child support. David then had to explain about how some parents don't live together and stuff. I'm still not sure Ruby got it all. =P
Ruby and I finally got the couch vacuumed under the cushions. It was getting kinda nasty. Anyways, when we were done, Isaac took the vacuum apart so I could empty the container. After the dust around the trash can settled down, one of the kids found a button in the garbage and rescued it, placing it on the counter. Well, sometime, it must've gotten knocked down, because I rescued it out of the dirt pile after sweeping the kitchen. I think that rescued button belongs on one of David's dress shirts. I should check that out sometime.
We were writing a thank-you note to a boy and his Mom who gave Isaac a book. Isaac was spouting off what he wanted me to write in the note, and then very seriously told me not to write that he couldn't have the book read to him because he peed his pants because that might make them feel sad. Ha! Took me a bit to get what he was talking about - one day he picked that book for storytime, but he had peed in his pants, so instead of getting a story, he had to change his pants, so he missed out. That silly boy. Someday, SOMEDAY, he will keep his pants dry ALL THE TIME. Last night while at someone else's house, he asked to use the bathroom. I was proud of him, because times like that he is more prone to wet his pants than others, because he's enjoying himself so much and stuff, I guess.
We've been teaching the kids about 9-1-1 lately. Stressing to not practice on the phone unless Daddy is there to make sure they don't hit the "talk" button. Anyhow, at lunch today, they were practicing away. Isaac was the 9-1-1 operator, and Ruby was the caller. They both learned our address today, too. I was so proud! OH! And last night, Ruby remembered when her birthday is for the first time. I was so proud! OH! AND Ruby learned to play a good sized portion of "Jesus Loves me" on the piano today. I was so proud! =)
At during naptime prayers, Ruby told Jesus, "I love you, Jesus. For real. Like I sing in Jesus Loves me." Or something. I sure do love listening to their prayers!
No comments:
Post a Comment