Ruby has had lots of fun lately seeing how long she can hold her breath. She even roped me into having several contests with her the other day to see who could hold their breath the longest. And I was afraid a time or two that she'd actually beat me! =O
Last night at supper, somehow the topic of Ruby's surgery/hospitalizations came up. Oh, I remember now! They were talking about motorized cars, and Ruby was saying that she got to drive one on the way back to her first surgery. That was crazy. Drug the child up and put her behind a wheel. Bad, bad combination. =P Jadelyn was reminding us (as she seems to always do when the topic arises) that she and Isaac threw up in Gram's car when they were coming to visit Ruby and I at the hospital. Isaac added in that Gram gave him a bag to throw up in, but he missed. And Jadelyn was talking about wiping up with baby wipes. Bless you, Mom. All I remember was that you called and said you weren't going to make it 'cause they both got sick. And you were all upbeat sounding. Wowzers. Anyways, back to the point of the story. So, we were talking about the laughing juice or whatever they gave Ruby before surgery that made her loopy the first time, but didn't work the second time. Ruby said that she knew the pain that was coming was going to be bad, and so she just didn't get giddy. She screamed all the way back to the room. SCREAMED as they took her away. Last night, Ruby told us that she tried to hold her breath when they put the mask on her, but it didn't work because she'd been crying, so she was gulping air during her sniffs and stuff. And for some reason, I got all teary. I almost thought I should excuse myself from the table and come back to my room and have a good cry. My poor baby girl, all alone, scared out of her mind, trying to hold her breath. Silly, I realize, but that's how I felt. I talked to her about it later. How I was sad that she was so scared and that I wasn't there with her (they don't let parent's back for anesthesia where we went). Ruby, ever the practical one, told me that it wouldn't have done any good if I WAS back there. She was just scared of hurting. So, independent Ruby, thanks for not needing me. Now I can erase that guilt. Right? ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment