So, April 4 was the date for Ruby's first surgery. On her right hip. Great-Grandpa Link, Grandma Nancy, and Gram and Pucka were in for the festivities. The day before surgery day, Dad and I took Ruby up for the pre-op appointment. She was a champ for the x-rays. She was a champ for the urine test. Blood draw? Not so good. Crying, crying, crying...and the person taking the blood was taking her time getting ready while Ruby just got more and more worked up. I think she actually calmed down more once the needle was in! =O Anyhow, she was a little stuffed up, which I let them know, and we were on our way home.
That night, we scrubbed her hip for 3 minutes with the special hospital scrubby. We were at the couch having worship when Isaac told David that he was feeling like he might throw up. David got him a bowl. Just a VERY short while later, Isaac upchucked...somehow managing to miss the bowl for the first spurt or two. I was thinking, "you've got to be kidding me". Unbelievable. Just a few hours before Ruby's surgery. Yai. Well, we got things cleaned up, finished worship, and got the kiddos in bed. Ruby made sure that Jadelyn gave her a big hug because Jadelyn wouldn't be seeing Ruby in the morning. Ruby gave good hugs to everyone except Isaac, who was laying on his bed, clammy and sick. They went to sleep. We finally did, too - WAY TOO LATE. I was up at 4:00am, I think...getting ready to go. Got Ruby up at like 4:40am, got her ready and hit the road. Got to the hospital a little after 6am - late, as usual. =P David had to go to the bathroom REALLY BAD, so we dropped him off at the front doors and went to park. David said there were several people in scrubs in the waiting room, asking him if he was Ruby's Dad. He told them yes, but he had to go potty. ;) We finally got in, and in no time were back in Ruby's hospital room where literally 3 people were asking us questions/taking Ruby's vitals or whatever at the same time. Insanity. The anesthesiologist resident came in and talked to us about anesthesia. About Ruby having to get a mask to go to sleep. At this point, Ruby, who was already a ball of anxiety, started crying and trying to climb up on my shoulder like a cat. She is so afraid of having to go to sleep! The anesthesiologist resident told us that after going to sleep, Ruby would need several IVs, and an epidural that would stay in for the next 2-3 days, as this is a painful surgery. Great. =( We had a little time and had ourselves the beginning of a worship before we were whisked off to the OR. This is when the anesthesiologist came in and checked Ruby out. 'Twas all going fine, 'til she said that Ruby felt warm. So they took her temp. For like the 3rd time that morning. And what do you know - it was 100. Not technically a fever, but higher than it had been before. So, a lot of hem-and-hawing ensued...Ruby was stuffed up, had a bit of a cough, Isaac threw up the night before, and now her temp was elevated. They said that because the surgery was so long, this could pose a problem, as if her temp continued to go up in surgery, they wouldn't be able to tell if it was because she was sick or because of the meds. At this point, Ruby, who had been terrified for the past 2 hours at the hospital finally let loose and got all silly. Everyone stood around watching her antics and commenting on how she didnt' LOOK sick, and so on, until finally, surgery was postponed 'til April 16, which was supposed to be the date of her second surgery. Home we went, but not before Ruby was given a BUNCH of goodies - blanket, toys, etc. Oh, and a banana.
Off we went to McDonald's for breakfast. And then home. When we got home, I took Ruby's temp, of course. It was 98.1. Arrggghhhh!!!! Maybe there was a reason this had to be postponed...the doctor seemed a bit cranky...=O
Oh, and then this past Sunday Ruby got a real temp. And so I've been monitoring it obsessively and letting Shriner's know about it. So yesterday I was told that there is a 50/50 chance they will proceed with the surgery. They wanted us to go to a pediatrician that day or this morning for a throat swab, urine test, and an overall eval. We don't see a pediatrician - we see a nurse practitioner in our little town's clinic. But. I called the pediatrician about 30 minutes away, and they got me in yesterday - WHOO-HOO!!! It was during naptime, but I put the kids down early and woke 'em up and we got there....a few minutes late. Of course. =P Anyways, good news - no strep, urine test was clear, and doctor said from my obsessive temp checks (which I have written down) he could confidently say that he thinks she had a virus and is getting over it and should be okay for surgery on Monday. So, today I got an e-mail from the admissions person saying that as of right now, surgery is still scheduled for Monday. STAY WELL, RUBY!!!
Oh, and one more thing...Isaac was fine after his throw-up episode and didn't throw up anymore, nor have any more symptoms. One theory is that he was so anxious for Ruby - a twin thing, maybe. If that is the case, he's seriously the sweetest brother I've ever seen.
Adios!
No comments:
Post a Comment