Monday, February 13, 2012

Pretending....

Today I caught Ruby sitting on the couch in the position of her anticipated cast. Which started a conversation for us. Ruby thinks about having a cast/surgery a lot. But "didn't know" what she thought about. We kept talking. She is scared. I am, too. She is worried that "I won't wake up". I am, too. We talked about the actual surgery. I did a quick, crazy, "cut, saw, bend, fill-with-bone, drill/screw, sew, cast" surgery on her. She loved it. We did it over and over. She also had two "long" surgeries. Lasting like 10 minutes, including going to sleep, getting the IV, getting scrubbed up, etc. If 10 minutes for a surgery seems long, and it did, I can't imagine what a 5 hour surgery will feel like. To Ruby, it will seem as a second. To me, an eternity.

Tonight at her bedtime prayer, Ruby thanked Jesus for giving her such a good Mommy. This is NOT a normal prayer in this house. I think that my multiple-surgery-time was well spent, and I hope we relieved some of her anxieties. 51 more days to go......

No comments:

Post a Comment