So, the other day during lunchtime, somehow the term "biology" came up, so the kids and I started discussing how biology is the study of life. Then I started sharing stories of my time in biology class with Mr. Haus, and how he had us studying birds, and how we had to disect things. Okay, Hughes did the disecting, but I was proud of my weak-stomached-self for holding a frog eyeball in my gloved hands. =O Then, we were talking about how in A&P, Mr. Carter had them disecting cats, and how I did NOT take that class. Then we got to talking about where those animals that got disected came from. THEN we started talking about how medical people learn lots of things from disecting animals and cadavers. And then there was talk about how you could be an organ donor, donate your body to science, get cremated, or get buried. And the kids were talking about what they would want done with their bodies. Well, I think mostly the girls were. I'm not sure what Isaac was doing. Eating, perhaps? =O Anyways, then Ruby was talking about a funeral they went to (someone from David's nursing home), and how the man's eyes were closed. I told them that they make sure the dead person's eyes are closed, and the kids wanted to know why. I told them it would be a bit disturbing to go up to see your beloved and have them "staring" back at you. And then they wanted to know how the eyes stayed closed. Jadelyn had an idea - "maybe they put glue on the colored part of your eyes and then slam them closed". Lovely. I believe I ended the conversation there. =P
Oh! I KNEW there was something else! And not morbid, even! =O Jadelyn started reading yesterday! In fact, she nearly finished a 50+ page book with Isaac's help. She's not keen on sounding out words, at ALL, but she learns sight words QUICK so off she went. It's so great to see my little man in the role of reading coach. He's quite good at it and nice and patient, and it's SO GOOD for his confidence and practice. Just a proud moment, you know. ;)
Okay, back to work!
No comments:
Post a Comment