This morning, the kids were happily playing in the sandbox (favorite activity of this week), when Hickory started barking. And kept barking. Finally, I looked out the window from where I was working on making zucchini out of the zucchinis that I let get too big (=O) and what did I see, but 4 horses meandering through our yard. I quickly called the kids in (never know what those crazy animals may do - I don't want a repeat of Ruby flying through the air after getting kicked by a horse), and then I thought that maybe the horses were in the pasture after all. But no, they were in the yard. Coming toward the house. 2 big horses, and 2 baby horses. Beautiful, but I don't know nothin' 'bout no horses. So, I did what any rational human being would do. I called David, who works in another town. ;P I didn't have the phone number for our Amish neighbors, but David did, so I wanted the number to give them a quick call to come get their horses, if these were indeed theirs. I failed go get ahold of David, so the kids loaded up for a quick adventure ride to the Detweilers home. They thought that was a bit strange (at least Ruby did), since this Mama goes NOWHERE. =O Anyhow, on our way out of the driveway, we met another neighbor, who had driven by, seen the horses on the road, and turned around to see what was going on (I presume). He asked if they were my horses. I said no, but I thought maybe they belonged to the Detweilers. Anyhow, we got to the neighbors, where some strange, excitable English woman (ahem, that would be me) told Jonathan that his horses were loose and walking down the road. I asked if he wanted a ride. He was very, VERY laid back about it all, and said, no, he'd just walk. He thanked me for coming to tell him and then ambled off down the driveway. Well, we saw him walk by the house one way, and then the other. With no horses. Oooops. I'm guessing those weren't his horses? =O Gotta love country livin'!
Then, at lunch, Ruby was telling me about how when they were out and about with Daddy yesterday, hanging up flyers at Amish establishments about our house for sale, she saw an Amish lady with 3 kids. One was little "like this" (holding hands up to measure out an appropriate baby size), one was about Jadelyn's size, but a little shorter, and probably 2 or 3, and one had "Jacob's eyes", and maybe face, but definitely eyes. Wide open and staring. Must admit, I've never seen Jacob stare, but he does have nice eyes! ;)
And this morning, Ruby was quizzing me down about how we know if a baby is Amish or not. I explained it has to do with how the parents want to raise them. This conversation went on for a while, and I said that all the people are the same, just believe different things. No, Ruby argued, Amish are NOT the same as us - they wear hats! Sigh....
I sure will miss this place.
No comments:
Post a Comment